Wednesday, October 30, 2013

So, this last week I was super, super busy and we ended up going out to eat a lot.  I've noticed that when I increase my sugar intake or processed foods/ fat intake (e.g. going out to eat) I get really cranky with my family.  Additionally, I'm not good at going hungry to lose weight so it's a huge effort to stick with a diet.  A ton of people at church have read this book called "Eat to Live" and lost an astonishing amount of weight.  Additionally, some of them had diabetes or were just sick all of the time and now they are fine and have tons of energy.  I decided to read the book and now I'm convinced.  Even though I don't agree with everything said in the book (e.g. I think you need a lot of protein for breakfast to have more energy), I do agree that in general people need to be eating a LOT more fruits and vegetables and way less processed foods, dairy, meat, sugar, salt, etc.  The cancer and heart disease studies quoted constantly in the book were very convincing.  The essence of this way of living is, you only eat foods that are high in nutrients, vitamins, or minerals.  If they're not high in nutrients, why waste your calories on them because they all seem to cause cancer or heart disease?

Mike and I decided we would eat as the book suggests for 6 weeks, and then we will see if we should continue to eat this way or maybe modify the plan a little bit.  I honestly believe, even before reading the book, that many diseases and problems are a result of our diet choices, so I'd like to eat healthier in the end.  Anyway, the first day was not a great success because everything tasted so bland, but the second day I finally got some good tasting recipes.  It will be a huge effort to find good tasting "nutritarian" recipes that don't require cooking for hours, but I will find them.

The first recipe I got from my friend, Candice, and I modified it a little bit.  I had this for breakfast and it was pretty good... it will probably be my staple breakfast, but I have some oatmeal recipes I want to try too.  Also, the ingredients sound gross... but they actually taste good all together and are super healthy... I don't eat gross things.  This is specific for my size blender, so proportions may need to be lessened for smaller blenders.  It is very filling and big, so cut in half or share for a smaller smoothie.

HUGE Green Smoothie
Fill blender with 16 oz. of water
Add greens to 32 oz. line (I used 2 lrg handfuls of spinach and 1 lrg handful of kale, but I will try even more tomorrow)
Blend
Add 1 banana (just added an extra banana and it was even better!)
Add about 2/3 cup white beans (I added for protein and couldn't taste a difference)
Blend
Add 3/4 of apple
Add small handful of frozen blueberries
Blend
Add 2 handfuls of frozen strawberries
Blend
Add 2 more handfuls of frozen strawberries
Blend
Add 1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseed
Blend
Enjoy your super healthy, all natural, and still good tasting smoothie!

(On a side note, my land sickness after my cruise went after the day after I complained about it on this blog... lol.  I just needed to complain to heal; j/k.)

No comments:

Post a Comment