Wednesday, October 16, 2013

And I have finished my final project for English!  Whew!  I also just completed two discussion postings today and one was quite interesting. 

"If you found a magic pen that would allow you to write something that would create a profound change in the reader, in other words, the person/s reading your text would, act, do, or be convinced as a result....what would you write and who would you address your text to?" 

Of course, what do you think I wrote about?  Haha... 

Only, when I wrote my answer, I tried to testify without being too religious in my answer.  I did not mention the name of my church in the post.  I was talking to Mike afterwards and I told him that I feel like I never tell people I'm Mormon.  For instance, in this class we had many discussion posts and if I offended someone I didn't want them to associate my church with perhaps my offensive words.  It's the same reason I don't have an LDS or BYU sticker on my car... if I'm driving badly, I don't want someone to say, "Those crazy Mormons."  And as I was talking to Mike I realized... I feel like I have to be perfect to testify of my church because I want people to think the best of it.  But, if I wait until I'm perfect to testify, then I will never testify.  So, I went back and edited my post to include the name of my church.  It's not the best testimony I've ever written, as I was trying to keep it low key since it's for a class, but I'm proud that I added my church name.  I'm proud that I'm a Mormon. Maybe I'll go buy a BYU bumper sticker now.  ;) 

"My letter would be to all mankind and I would write about God, Jesus Christ, and their teachings.  I would write about moral principles that have remained unchanged in God’s eyes even though society has changed them.  I would write about prayer and that prayers can be answered if a person has faith and does what they need to do to remain close to the Holy Spirit.  I would write about scripture study and how studying the words of the prophets not only teaches us more about Christ but can guide us in our daily lives for the better.  I would write that there is a divine purpose for us being sent to Earth, that we are all God’s children, and that his son, Jesus Christ, atoned for our sins so we can return to live with Him again.  I would write about how The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly referred to as the Mormon church, has changed my life for the better, and how happy it has made me.  I would write that part of God’s eternal plan is that families can live together forever, not just in this life alone.  

I don’t share my beliefs maybe as often as I should because I don’t want people to discount what I say on the basis that I’m some religious fanatic.  But, if I truly had a pen that could help people desire to act upon my words, I would choose the topic that is most dear to me and that I feel would help people the most, and that is to encourage a belief in God, Jesus Christ, and their doctrine."

1 comment:

  1. I had to change my driving habits after we got our purple heart license plates... didn't want people to shun the military because I happen to honk too much, lol.

    ReplyDelete